King Charles III has spoken out after the arrest of his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, saying that “the law must take its course.” The statement came just hours after Andrew was taken into police custody on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Police vehicles were seen arriving at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on Thursday morning. Officers also carried out searches at properties in Berkshire, including the Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park, where Andrew lived until recently.
In an official statement, King Charles said he learned of the arrest with the “deepest concern.” He added that authorities would carry out a “full, fair and proper process,” and confirmed that the royal family would fully support and cooperate with the investigation.
The King also made it clear he would not interfere, stating: “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.” He added that it would not be right to comment further while the investigation is ongoing.
Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man in his sixties from Norfolk was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Officers said the suspect remains in custody while the investigation continues and warned the public to avoid speculation while the case is active.
The arrest comes after renewed attention on files linked to convicted offender Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew has previously denied wrongdoing related to Epstein and has not directly responded to the latest allegations.
Andrew, who turned 66 on the day of his arrest, was stripped of his royal titles and duties in 2022. The latest development marks one of the most serious crises for the modern royal family in recent years.
According to reports, William, Prince of Wales and Catherine, Princess of Wales support the King’s statement. The investigation is ongoing, and more updates are expected in the coming days.